Sunday, August 14, 2011

Post 23: A Visit to the Barber Motorsports Museum

This Sunday morning, after my usual practice rounds in the Bank parking lot, I took a ride to the Harley shop, and then rode on to the Barber Motorsports Museum in Leeds. It is huge, and has a collection of about 750 motorcycles on display. It has another 500 in storage waiting to be restored...
Strangely, I did not see a single French bike. Granted, the French have not been the greatest motorcycle makers, but what about
The visit really helped me to clarify my taste in bikes, and confirm my choice of the Vegas was right indeed. Of all the bikes made today, the Victory Vegas IS the best looking to me. They had a 2007 Yellow pre production model donated by Victory on display, and it really stood out for its design, style, and curvy flowing lines:



But by and large, my favorite bikes were the early machines until about 1930 or so. I also liked the military bikes. Rack after rack of nearly identical triumphs don't do much for me, except for a few odd designs, Italians bikes don't turn me on. I couldn't care less about the painted up racing bikes and the street bikes with their turned up rear ends and their plastic fairings. Nor do I like the touring bikes much.
All in all, probably a dozen bikes REALLY stopped me. More or less in order of preference:


The fabulous bright Red and Yellow 1925 Bohmerland, a Czeck bike and one of the oddest and longest designs ever, with a wooden sidecar that looks like the Hindenburg.

Now, THAT is really an inspiration to me.


Next, the "Lakewood Special", build in 2007 for the Discovery Channel Biker Build Off show, but made to look like a 1930 or so machine, with a wooden cane seat, antique car parts, and copper oil lines.

This one is also extremely inspirational to me.


Then, there is another very unique Czech bike: the Red 1998 Jawa ice racer, with its long spiked tires and very clean functional lines.


And also the strange looking British 1929 Scott Sprint Special, with odd shaped gas and oil tanks.



As well as the fabulous 1949 Jackson Rotrax Speedway, with its very unique British J.A.P. engine:




No comments:

Post a Comment