Friday, September 16, 2011

Post 28: V Star "Bobberization" Part 1


I ordered some 27" black 1" drag bars which I will cut in half, and designed some clips to attach them to the top of the front end tubes. I also designed reverse brake and clutch levers, and bought a 3/4" x 2.5" bar of solid brass to cut them out of.
I will use rods instead of cables and move the brake fluid reservoir off the handlebars for a cleaner look.
The grips will be made of stacked wood slices,in alternating colors(padouk and birch?).
I will make old fashion brass choke levers and turn signals:
I will use coiled copper tubing oil and gas lines, brass or copper velocity stacks on the carburators as the beautiful "Willow" shown below, and decorative "steampunk" brass and copper rivet strips on the tank:



























I found a source for reproduction cloth covered color coded striped wire, and I will probably use the second amber one throughout (lights, spark plugs, etc...) to match the brass parts and the gold leafed gas tank:






I will use leather straps and an aluminum, brass and padouk box to hold the battery, leather roll tool bags, and a strapped on gold leafed spare gas mini jerrycan with a leather holder:

A lot of the chrome plating on the engine will be blacked out, soiled, weathered, swirl sanded, or otherwise distressed. The exhaust will be wrapped in fiberglass ribbon and I will find a close fit chopped rear fender like the bike below:


I love the suspended seat above too, but the fat and wide Mustang seat with backrest the bike came with is so damn comfortable I am considering keeping it and covering it in distressed buffalo leather instead...

No comments:

Post a Comment