Friday, February 3, 2012

Post 31: V STAR "Bobbing" Part 4

  
 Looks like spring already, and after a break through the Holidays in France, I am back "bobbin" the V STAR. I actually rode it yesterday, and it felt good. Raising the tubes 4" in the triple trees did a lot to improve the handling, and removing all the extra chrome junk made it lighter and more nimble
  I got my zigzag fat black handlebars, cut them in half, and attached each half to the top of the fork tubes with my solid brass clip on brackets. It's going to be tricky to figure out the installation of the reversed brass levers, so I temporarily put back the original levers and grips.




  I cut off the whole rear end bracket that supported the rear fender, and am looking for a short fender to attach close to the wheel to the swing arm. It looks good with none, but just a little water would soak my pants...
  I made a bracket to attach the battery( with plans for a box and leather straps), tied all the loose wires and fuel pump temporarily, gold leafed the front fender after a couple of coats of red primer and a coupe of a dark flaky metallic gold. I painted the gas tank gold too, but will hold of on the gold leaf till I get the rest of the mods done.




  I rigged up the Mustang seat in place with a couple of temporary steel brackets. I know some crazy uncomfortable bronze or wood seat would probably look better, but my ass likes the comfort of the big Mustang seat with a back rest!
  I made an aluminum bracket to attach the old tag holder sideways on the right side. It has a built in rear/stop light. I am not sure at this point whether I will use blinkers, they are not required in Alabama.
  I bought some 2" wide beige exhaust tape and wrapped the two short exhaust pipes. I had to weld a short extension to the top one to be able to slip in the baffles that cut the noise level considerably.

No comments:

Post a Comment