Saturday, February 25, 2012

Post 32: V STAR "Bobbing" Part 5

   I finally managed to remove the exhaust pipes chrome covers and expose the plain pipes. I had to extend the top one slightly to be able to fit the sound baffle in, and wrapped them with tan colored fiberglass tape: 




Then I started working on relocating the wiring( what the hell are all those wires for?), regulator, etc... under the tank in the space left by the removed air box:



As you can see, I also made a copper curly gas line and mounted the pump to the side:



In order to drill the holes in the swing arm and fit the flat rear fender( I couldn't find a round one at a reasonable price I had ordered from J & P Cycles, I had to remove the rear wheel and shaft transmission:




I drilled 1/4" holes in the fender and through the tubes to attach the fender to the swing arm, close to the tire:




   It feels quite rigid, so I don't know if I will add the brass braces I had planned.
   I bent and cut a 1/8" steel plate to fit the triangular space underneath the seat and hold the back of the Mustang seat in place securely, and painted it semi flat black. I drilled holes in the frame and tapped them 8-32 to attach it with brass screws, and also to securely bolt it to the tank attachment and attach the seat retainer ledge:




    I hated the bumpy grey plastic sleeves the wiring was in going to the levers, so I removed them, replaced them with smaller fitted fleck flex tubing wrapped in electrician tape, and slipped over them  braided 1/2" copper flat lead I bought a spool of.It is actually wown as a tube , and adjust to pretty much any diameter by pushing or pilling on it. I used black rubber tubing and washer to finish the ends. I did the same with the headlight wiring:




I painted the rear fender 2 coats of black on the inside, and 2 coats of red primer plus 2 coats of gold on the outside to ready it for gilding:













No comments:

Post a Comment