Saturday, February 25, 2012

Post 33: V STAR "Bobbing" Part 5

    Today, I took the gas tank and the fender in the studio, which it is cleaner than the workshop, to gold leaf them. I don't know if I mentioned before that although I appreciate the perfectly lined up squares of chine screens, I don't have the china man skill, and anyway, I prefer the messier gold leafing with pieces of different sizes and shapes going every which way and hairline cracks, which gives a bit of an antique look. Also, I am using fake brass gold leaf rather than real gold leaf, which I find garishly shiny. And the color matches the brass parts I made for the bike. The size dries fairly fast, so I did the tank in 4 sections, starting with the bottom part:




 The tank finished received 3 coats of clear lacquer:




  Then I gold leafed and lacquered the rear fender:





No comments:

Post a Comment